Stop Word Filter

Hi,

I want to use the Stop Word Filter node. I installed the KNIME textprocessing extension and the node appears in my repository. But when trying to use the node (by dragging it to my workflow area), I get this error message:

The selected node could not be created due to the following reason:
Could not initialize class org.knime.ext.textprocessing.nodes.preprocessing.stopwordfilter.BuildInStopwordListFactory

I looked into “plugins/org.knime.ext.textprocessing.models_2016.11.23.v202202280949/stopwordlists” and that folder is empty. Do I have to install anything else?

I’m running KNIME 4.6.0 on macOS Monterey 12.4.

Hi @stefanfis,

“class not found” and similar errors can indicate that something went wrong during installation. Locating the empty folder (great spot!) also suggests that.

Maybe uninstalling the extension and reinstalling it helps?

To be extra safe, before reinstalling it, you could locate the knime.ini text file in the installation folder and add the parameter -clean as the top line to it. Restarting KNIME after saving the file may then clean up some old installation folders. I suggest removing the line afterwards, as it does slow down the startup.

Kind regards
Marvin

1 Like

I just tried your solution, even with adding “-clean” to knime.ini, but the error is still there.
Thank your for your help, though.

Additional note. All other nodes and extensions work without trouble, so I’m rather helpless what to do …

Hi @stefanfis,

does the folder get deleted when you uninstall the extension? If not, you could close KNIME and launch it via command line as:

./knime -application org.eclipse.equinox.p2.garbagecollector.application \
 -nosplash -consolelog

You could also try a fresh KNIME installation from here: Download KNIME Analytics Platform | KNIME
The .zip download can be extracted anywhere (e.g. onto the Desktop), so that you can quickly test without needing to go through an installer.

Kind regards
Marvin

1 Like

I’ve been able to solve the problem with the hints you provided. Here are the steps I had to do:

1. Uninstalled the extension
  2. Quit app
  3. Removed the extension folder org.knime.ext.textprocessing.models_2016.11.23.v202202280949/
  4. Started the app again
  5. Installed extension
  6. Encountered An error occurred during the org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.engine.phases.CheckTrust phase
  7. Quit app
  8. Removed artifacts.xml from Eclipse root directory (a solution or workaround for the error in step 6 regarding to some Stackoverflow recommendation)
  9. Removed the extension folder once more :slight_smile:
  10. Started the app
  11. Installed the extension again
  12. Enjoyed using the Stop Word Filter node!

Thank you very much!

One more additional note: I’m running KNIME on an Apple Silicon M1 MacBook. Don’t know if this may be related or not.

2 Likes

Hey @stefanfis,

I’m glad you got it to work, thanks for sharing the solution! :slight_smile:
I’m not sure whether this was a M1 quirk either, but it surely is good to note for others searching with a similar issue.

Kind regards
Marvin

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.