String Manipulation | Execute failed: Unable to compile expression

Hi,

I am using a nested loop process and within that i have 2 string manipulation nodes which fails after 1900th loop

Please help.

ERROR String Manipulation  0:572:562:540 Execute failed: Unable to compile expression
ERROR at line 54
AbstractSnippetExpression cannot be resolved to a type

ERROR at line 60
Abort cannot be resolved to a type

ERROR at line 52
The import org.knime.ext.sun.nodes.script.expression.AbstractSnippetExpression cannot be resolved

ERROR at line 53
The import org.knime.ext.sun.nodes.script.expression.Abort cannot be resolved

ERROR at line 60
The method internalEvaluate() of type Expression23427 must override or implement a supertype method
ERROR String Manipulation  0:572:562:541 Execute failed: Unable to compile expression
ERROR at line 54

ERROR at line 60

Best,

Sanatan

Hi Sanatan,

could you maybe send me the workflow?

Thank you, Iris

Hi all

I have the same problem with node String Manipulation which is part of Image Analysis Metanode in my workflow. Everything above the String Manipulation works well. Can someone suggest the solution?

Best wishes,

Ksen

I am having the same issue. I have an executed workflow, when I reset the node I get an error (pasted below). Any hints on what might be going on?

Thanks,

Aaron

WARN String Manipulation 4:0:650 failed to apply settings: Unable to compile expression
ERROR at line 58
Line : 57 import org.knime.ext.sun.nodes.script.expression.Abort;
Line : 58 public class Expression369 extends AbstractSnippetExpression {

ERROR at line 63
Line : 62 @Override
Line : 63 public java.lang.String internalEvaluate() throws Abort {

ERROR at line 56
The import org.knime.ext.sun.nodes.script.expression cannot be resolved
Line : 55 import static org.knime.base.node.preproc.stringmanipulation.manipulator.UpperCaseManipulator.*;
Line : 56 import org.knime.ext.sun.nodes.script.expression.AbstractSnippetExpression;

ERROR at line 57
The import org.knime.ext.sun.nodes.script.expression cannot be resolved
Line : 56 import org.knime.ext.sun.nodes.script.expression.AbstractSnippetExpression;
Line : 57 import org.knime.ext.sun.nodes.script.expression.Abort;

ERROR at line 63
The method internalEvaluate() of type Expression369 must override or implement a supertype method
Line : 62 @Override
Line : 63 public java.lang.String internalEvaluate() throws Abort {

I resolved this by updating my KNIME installation, but it’s still not clear what the problem was.

Same issue today. KNIME 4.3.0 Mac.
Attaching a part of log.
KNIME_StringManipulation_error_log.txt (48.7 KB)

Unfortunately I can’t share my workflow because it contains connection parameters to live DBs. If really needed, I could go through the export and remove it but this wouldn’t make me happy.

The import org.knime.ext.sun.nodes.script.expression.AbstractSnippetExpression cannot be resolved
2 Likes

Restart of the KNIME analytics platform did help. The problem has vanished.

1 Like

Thanks @jan_lender, restarting knime worked.

usecase:

• recently upgraded to macOs Big Sur
  • recently upgraded to knime 4.3.1
  • workflow worked previously no errors
  • knime was open for 3-4 hrs before attempting to run this workflow
  • never had this error before in the past

Best, tyler

1 Like

Hello all,

this seems Mac related?

Additionally see here on BigSur:

Br,
Ivan

Experienced this issue with both Java Snippet (simple) and String Manipulation on Windows Server 2019, KNIME AP 4.3.2 just now.

Going to update & restart…

Update & restart did help.

1 Like

Hello @jan_lender and others,

there is open ticket to address this behavior and upon news someone will update this topic.

Br,
Ivan

1 Like

Well, this started to happen to me more ofter last weeks. These days I work on Windows Server, KNIME AP 4.3.3. It’s usually after KNIME app and my Windows session are inactive for a number of days. I usually connect with my Mac using Microsoft Remote Desktop to a remote Windows Server 2019 Standard running on a virtualized HW, where I have my KNIME open permanently. There I start to work with a workflow that is already open there, and after some time I end up with this problem.

Why do you use

> String manipulation node

?
Java snippet or Java Snippet (simple) are better…
I don’t understand the use of this node…

Hello there,

this issue was addressed with KNIME version 4.5.0

Br,
Ivan

1 Like

@Ipazin, awesome :slight_smile: Just ran into it with 4.4.2

1 Like