Support Vector Machine Question

Dear KNIME Cummunity,

I have previously used a RNN to model the following problem and can easily get above a 98% accuracy.

• Water runs into a cylinder at a constant rate
  • Choose 10000 random sized cylinders: (variables r, l and t)random radius, length and duration (say seconds of constant rate (flow))
  • I added another feature (vector sequence) of the progression of the volume in the cylinder over time
  • My RNN could predict with high accuracy which cylinders would be full and which not after the random time t (in seconds)

Now I want to use a SVM to do the same job:

• Firstly, I did not use a sequence vector as input as in the case for the RNN; I did this because I don’t think SVM supports that kind of input
  • For that reason, I kept the whole sequence as individual feature (variable)
  • You can find my workflow in the public domain or attached KNIME_predict cylinder(9) SVM.knwf (2.5 MB)

knime://My-KNIME-Hub/Users/knimeoutjie/Public/Cylinders/KNIME_predict%20cylinder(9)%20SVM

When I implement the SVM as shown below, the hyperplane in the gutter is on one of the axis, which clearly means that:

• Either there is no solution or
  • I am not implementing it correctly

Would appreciate any help and comments.

Many thanks,

Leon

I can’t really help just some thoughts:

• RNN’s are specifically made for time-series like problems
  • Neural networks in general after having been trained are in essence just very, very complex mathematical functions.
  • Neural networks can do multi-target predictions

This to explain why it works well with RNNs. You are simply predicting a relatively simple mathematical formula.

Since SVM can’t do multi-target, if you want to predict which cylinder is full I suspect you will need as many SVM models as you have cylinders as you can only give output for 1 target like full/not full or the actual volume contained in it.

1 Like

Hi Beginner,

Thanks for trying to help.

The problem is framed in a way that the outcome is binary. Either the cylinder is ‘already full’ or ‘not full yet’. Each training sample has one of the two outcomes. For that reason I should be able to model it at least to some degree.

Anyone else has some input?

Thanks,
Leon

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.