Update to KNIME 2.3 > Problems with Report

Dear all,

I have just updated from KNIME 2.2.2 to KNIME 2.3, but I am unable to view the (old) reports as pdf or html.

Sometimes a window pops up asking if the report should be upgraded to the new version, but even then the following error message appears:

+ org.eclipse.birt.report.service.api.ReportServiceException: Error happened while running the report

What might be the reason?

Thank you very much for your help.

Jürgen

PS: I observed this on two different machines (both Windows XP)

PS2: DOC, XLS and PPT do not work either (same error)

PS3: New reports made within KNIME 2.3 seem to run smoothly 

Hi Jürgen,

with KNIME 2.3 we upgraded to BIRT 2.6.1. which contains changes in the report file format. When opening old reports in the Report Designer they should be converted on-the-fly and saved in the new format.

Could you please have a look at the default_report.rptdesign file of an old report that doesn't work - it is located in your workflow directory - and post the first 3 lines of this file?

Dominik

Thank you Dominik for your reply.

I have re-setup a part of the reports and found out that sometime an image might cause a problem, sometimes a copy-and-paste action results in an (that) error message.

I have to check other reports to find a problematic case.

Has with the upgrade the behaviour with respect to multi line strings changed? The new version shows (only) the first line of a text (retrieved from a MySQL database).

Best regards,

Jürgen

Yes, that is possible. This thread at the birt exchange forum might be of interest for you. A possible workaround is also discussed there.

Dominik

Thank you very much...

Indeed the thread in the BIRT forum was helpful. The (mentioned) combination of using a dynamic data field and the script is the right (but not perfect) direction. I have the impression that only the first CR/LF is replaced...

Best regards,

Jürgen

Dear all,

I have tried a "Data" field and that has no difficulties with the CR/LF coming from the database.

Thank you very much and

all the best for 2011

Jürgen