Updating KNIME server on Azure

Hello,

I’m playing around with a server trial on a Azure VM and really struggle to make it work.

The deployment went fine, I can connect to the web portal, but when I try to run an example workflow, I get a “RMI executor could not be started”. Hmm, ok? So the forum suggest to update the server to 4.10+ (the azure deployment is 4.9.2), fine…

I’m trying to follow along the azure_marketplace_server_guide and from what I understand, it goes like:

1. Download the newest war file (4.10.x.y.war), ok, got that.
  2. Stop TomEE? Which I assume is a service? So I try “service --status-all” and get:
 [ + ]  AzureNetworkWatcherAgent
 [ - ]  acpid
 [ + ]  apparmor
 [ + ]  apport
 [ + ]  atd
 [ + ]  avahi-daemon
 [ - ]  bluetooth
 [ + ]  chrony
 [ - ]  console-setup.sh
 [ + ]  cron
 [ - ]  cryptdisks
 [ - ]  cryptdisks-early
 [ + ]  dbus
 [ + ]  ebtables
 [ + ]  grub-common
 [ - ]  hwclock.sh
 [ + ]  irqbalance
 [ + ]  iscsid
 [ - ]  keyboard-setup.sh
 [ + ]  kmod
 [ + ]  lightdm
 [ - ]  lvm2
 [ + ]  lvm2-lvmetad
 [ + ]  lvm2-lvmpolld
 [ + ]  lxcfs
 [ - ]  lxd
 [ - ]  mdadm
 [ - ]  mdadm-waitidle
 [ + ]  netfilter-persistent
 [ + ]  network-manager
 [ - ]  open-iscsi
 [ - ]  open-vm-tools
 [ - ]  plymouth
 [ - ]  plymouth-log
 [ + ]  postfix
 [ - ]  pppd-dns
 [ + ]  procps
 [ - ]  rsync
 [ + ]  rsyslog
 [ - ]  saned
 [ - ]  screen-cleanup
 [ + ]  ssh
 [ + ]  udev
 [ + ]  ufw
 [ + ]  unattended-upgrades
 [ - ]  uuidd
 [ - ]  x11-common
 [ + ]  xrdp

Nothing, no Tomcat, or TomEE in sight. So, it’s not a service? What do I do here? :thinking:

Hello dr_snglr,

The KNIME Server (KS) would only be configured as a service if you had followed the installation documentation [1] to do so; otherwise, after completing installation, the installer will run the startup script (see “Starting/stopping KNIME Server” on that same documentation page) after completing installation.

So, if you’re not seeing TomEE as a dedicated service, then that may be why. Please check if it was configured for autostart, and proceed accordingly.

Regards,
Nickolaus

[1] https://docs.knime.com/2019-12/server_installation_guide/index.html#autostart_knime_server

2 Likes

@NDekay Hello, thanks for the reply. I managed to get it working. :+1:

But to be honest, for someone who doesn’t have a background in IT, or much experience with Linux, it was a struggle. It took me A LOT of research.

Hello dr_snglr,

Thank you for your follow-up on this issue. I’m glad that you were able to get it working. I agree, sometimes some of the configuration pieces in Linux/UNIX aren’t always obvious, but once you learn how they work, you can readily apply them in other environments.

I have created a feature request, designated [SRV-3008], for an option in the installer to detect OS/distro and configure the runlevel/service scripts automatically.

If you have any other questions, please let us know, and good work completing the upgrade!

Regards,
Nickolaus

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.