Video on Webportal?

Can you play videos to users as part of the interactivity on the Webportal? If so there are probably some great HR onboarding use-cases. Automating processes and ensuring correct omboarding docs signed etc. Could be a good solution for those companies not running anything formal.

Thanks, Ben

1 Like

Hi Ben,

that’s a cool idea! And yes, that is possible!

This is a small workflow I was playing around with earlier. I pasted a youtube embed code into a Text Output Widget. This should work immediately if you open the interactive view via an Analytics Platform.
On the WebPortal it might be forbidden by default (as it loads contents from a third party website).
An administrator can adjust the setting com.knime.server.webportal.csp to allow whatever websites you host your videos on.

Is this what you had in mind?

Kind regards
Marvin

4 Likes

Ill try it tomorrow but yes certainly looks like what I had in mind. Rethinking the WebPortal as a communications tool (in addition to current use) with content such as vids will help adoption of the portal generally I believe. This is exciting. Thanks for your efforts Marvin, Ill let you know how I go.

Thanks

Ben

3 Likes

Marvin, I have added a header with our company branding and included 4 steps. I think this is is a good example how to use the WebPortal for comms. Video descriptions of interactive workflows is also a very good way of helping users navigate the program (in my view). Pretty exciting stuff, I might put this on the Hub, thoughts? FYI Server configuration was required as you suggested. WebPortal as a Comms Tool Example (shared).knwf (407.4 KB)

2 Likes

Hi Ben,

thanks for testing and sharing this cool example. I agree that videos have quite some potential. Its also fun to play around with, though it does require a basic understanding of HTML and possibly CSS to make things look nice. Maybe we should have an “embed video” widget that makes selection and placement a little easier?

Kind regards
Marvin

1 Like

Hi Marvin,

Yes I agree, the CSS and HTML adds complication that would be a step too far for many users I believe.

Having a widget to help with the process would be great.

Either way, we will be using video content on the WebPortal going forward!

Thanks,

Ben

Is there any experience using this cool way for playing video? I tried to run a mp4, unfortunately it doesn’t start …

Hi @Solarianer,

Maybe I can help! What nodes did you use to try to run the mp4?

Cheers,
Dash

I already solved the issue. It was a problem with permissions. Now I use a link in a table view connected to a sharepoint - it works :wink: Cool stuff. Having your tutorial directly on the landing page foe data apps.

1 Like

@Solarianer,

That’s good to hear! I’m glad you were able to get it to work. That sounds like a great data app! :grinning:

Hi,

Can someone explain me how to do this for mp4?

Cheers,

Do you mind sharing your workflow/component for this?