WebDriver not working with Chrome

Hi. For some reason running WebDriver with Chrome isn't working, the browser just opens and closes immediately with an error. I tried reinstalling Chrome and it did not help. Any suggestions? Last week it was working fine. Firefox has never worked for me.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Steps to reproduce:

1. Open WebDriver Factory
  2. Select Chrome as WebDriver
  3. Click Test WebDriver

Console:
ERROR Start WebDriver      0:3        Execute failed: session not created exception
from unknown error: Runtime.executionContextCreated has invalid 'context': {"auxData":{"frameId":"5880.1","isDefault":true},"id":1,"name":"","origin":"://"}
  (Session info: chrome=54.0.2840.59)
  (Driver info: chromedriver=2.22.397933 (1cab651507b88dec79b2b2a22d1943c01833cc1b),platform=Windows NT 6.1.7601 SP1 x86_64) (WARNING: The server did not provide any stacktrace information)
Command duration or timeout: 2.39 seconds
Build info: version: 'unknown', revision: 'unknown', time: 'unknown'
System info: host: 'MYPC', ip: '172.somenumbers', os.name: 'Windows 7', os.arch: 'amd64', os.version: '6.1', java.version: '1.8.0_60'
Driver info: org.openqa.selenium.chrome.ChromeDriver

behaviour predictions bound to outsmart you into buying

Hi glenerik,

this is caused by some protocol changes in a recent Chrome update. We'll release a fix during the next days.

[edit] In the meantime, you can manually download ChromeDriver 2.24 and select this in the preferences:
https://sites.google.com/a/chromium.org/chromedriver/downloads

Best,
Philipp

Thanks Philipp. In the list of drivers I see Linux 32/64, Mac 64, and Win 32 but no win 64. Are you able to download the Win32 file? It says it is corrupted when I download it.

Could there be a similar reason why the firefox driver doesn't work either for me?

I tried downloading ChromeDriver 2.23 and can't set it in the preferences. Can you explain how to do this so I can do it if/when the 2.24 file is fixed? Thank you.

EDIT: To overwrite the driver: Go to preferences -> KNIME -> Selenium.

hi Philipp,

I have firefox version 49 installed (see firefox fail picture). I changed the firefox settings to never ask for updates and it did not solve the problem. Firefox opens, stays open for a minute and then closes. A minute later knime node throws the fail. 

Concerning Chrome - I uninstalled chrome 54, installed chrome 53 and now selenium works. Not sure why I can't download the Win32 file in particular but can any other file on that site.

Hi,

I've just downloaded the binary on a Win32 machine and it can be opened without issue. Maybe it was just your download which got corrupted.

Your screenshot looks correct, so this should work, once you have a working 2.24 driver binary.

Concerning Firefox: Is your browser up-to-date? You may see this error occasionally, when Firefox is trying to update itself during start, which takes some time, and Selenium encounters a timeout .

[edit] please read below's post.

Hi glenerik,

Re Firefox: Recent versions of Firefox (greater/equal 47) can now only be used via the Marionette driver. So the original Firefox driver is now deprecated (and we will be removing it in the next update to avoid any further confusions.)

Good news: To use Firefox via Marionette, simply select Marionette instead of Firefox in the WebDriver Factory. Additionally, please configure the path to Firefox in the Selenium Preferences:

This should get Firefox working,
Philipp

Update: The recent update now includes ChromeDriver 2.24.

Philipp

Thanks Philipp. WebDriver Factory says Marionette binaries are missing:

Execute failed: Marionette binary could not be found in bundle; this should not happen.

Whoups, this should indeed not happen, sorry :) You're running on Windows, right? 

[edit] Yes, this is Windows issue. Fix is on the way and available on the update site in ~ 1 hr.

Windows, yes. After updating knime I get this message now:

Missing Value

Hi glenerik,

sorry, previous attempt was a bit too quick, the issue was still present on Windows. I just released a new update a few minutes ago which finally fixes this problem on Windows.

Thank you for getting back, and let me know if you should still encounter any problems.

Best
Philipp

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.