Windows desktop shortcut to specific workflow

Hello,

I am wondering if it is possible to create a desktop shortcut in Windows that opens a specific Knime workflow. I tried the workflow.knime file but that opens the import function.

Maybe there is some parameter I can add to knime.exe so that a specific workflow is opened.

Any help is much appreciated.

Ok, in the meantime I found out that via the command line switch “-data” I can open a specific workspace. This is not exactly what I need but could be an acceptable workaround if I managed to switch off the KNIME Welcome Page. Is this possible? I seem to remember there was a checkbox in the preferences but cannot for the life of me find it now.

Welcome page issue solved. Found the solution here:

Nevertheless, if anyone knows a way to open a specific workflow via parameter or otherwise, I’d be much obliged.

3 Likes

Hello @frederik31,

and welcome to KNIME Community!

To my knowledge this is not possible. The use case behind it is to start working right away and not having to spend time navigating/searching for the workflow you want?

Br,
Ivan

2 Likes

Thanks.

Indeed, yes. It’s solely for convenience/less distraction purposes. Lacking a server license, I intend to share a workflow with a colleague having no clue whatsoever of Knime. I encapsulated my workflow in a component, closed all views in my perspective except for the editor view and plan to give hime a full copy of my Knime instance (including the workspace, of course). I don’t want to have him searching the Knime explorer for the right workflow.

The “-data” parameter should be an acceptable workaround, though.

2 Likes

Hello @frederik31,

I see. Tnx for additional explanation. I often had troubles navigating to/finding the workflow I want. Especially after I wasn’t working on it for a longer time. Although this is not your main issue seems to me some improvements could be done in this area. Or maybe someone has found a better approach on this one?

Br,
Ivan

1 Like

hi @ipazin, I tend to agree that finding a workflow after a few weeks away from it can be challenging, especially when I cannot remember what I called it!

For that reason, I … put together a workflow. I know… shocking! :wink:

It’s my “workflow find assistant” on the hub.

It reads the KNIME workflow file names from the current KNIME workspace and lists them, along with creation and modification dates, so it’s easy to at least find the name of something if I know I was working on it 3 weeks ago :slight_smile:

It would be a nice enhancement to KNIME though to have history information (e.g… last used/saved dates ) or the ability to sort by those dates within the KNIME Explorer, or an equivalent view, but in the meantime at least I can find my workflows!

6 Likes

Hello @takbb,

Indeed a shocker :sweat_smile:

Gave it a try but seems works only on “one level” and includes folders?

Br,
Ivan

2 Likes

Indeed yes it probably needs some refinements. I’ll add suggestions to the “next release” :grinning:

2 Likes

Hello @takbb,

That’s very nice what you have done there.
After all, “the only limit is your imagination/mind”. TBH, I didn’t have a clue we could do that. Simple but efficient ! Thank you for sharing.

Many thanks.
BR,
Samir

3 Likes

Hi @ipazin… do you want to give it a try again and let me know? :wink:

2 Likes

Hello @takbb,

taken a look. Seems much better. Couple of observations:

• you are including knime.template file for shared Metanode/Component (wf name/group are missing)
  • for a item in root folder there is no Parent folder (would expect LOCAL?)
  • would be cool to have final list as interactive view in a Component with some filters based on time/name/size… :sunglasses:

Br,
Ivan

hehe… @ipazin, I think your comment re the knime.template file is possibly resolved already, as I spotted that just after I pinged you with the previous message, and so hoped to silently sneak in a fix. But you are just too quick for me :wink:

Yes, items with no workgroup listed are assumed to be LOCAL. I guess I could do a string manipulation or something to put LOCAL in there but on the other hand it might make it look cluttered.

would be cool to have final list as interactive view in a Component with some filters based on time/name/size… :sunglasses:

Yes it would be wouldn’t it… I’ll… erm… raise an internal request BB-11235813 and add you as a (+1) :wink:

2 Likes

Seems you got quite a number of requests there :sweat_smile:
Regardless of it nice one :+1:
Ivan

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.