Workflow coach is not working correctly. White space problem

Workflow coach is not working correctly. I downloaded the new version but still receive the following error:

ERROR WorkspaceRecommendationsPreferencePage Can’t load the requested node recommendations: Illegal character ((CTRL-CHAR, code 0)): only regular white space (\r, \n, \t) is allowed between tokens
at [Source: (sun.nio.ch.ChannelInputStream); line: 1, column: 2]

Hi @Burg ,

If possible can you give me more information on when this error is happening?

Are you behind a proxy? Can you try to reactivate the workflow coach?

Cheers,
Dash

I am running Knime Version 4.5.2 (Build March 23, 2022) on a Mac Pro M1
On every start-up I get:
Schermafbeelding 2022-04-21 om 08.31.44
with in the console the above mentioned error.

When I click on the link in the “workflow coach” I get:

After pressing “update now” it gives “update finished” then “apply and close”
Still nothing there.
After restart of knime the problem is still there.
I have my knime-workspace on one-drive.

Hi @Burg ,

If possible can you try moving the workspace out of one-drive and then see if the problem persists?

Cheers,
Dash

Hai Dash,
Tried it and transferred the workspace to Document folder , but this did not work.
Then I removed Knime and reinstalled it. But I did not connect it to the original work-space, but let it create a new one. Then the Workflow coach started again.

When closing Knime again and restart it, connect it to the original workspace, it produces the same problem.
By using the new work space and copying my own local workflow groups to the new works space all seems to be back to normal.

Hi @Burg ,

So the workflow coach is working in your new workspace instance? Is this workspace located in your Documents folder?

Cheers,
Dash

I am on a mac so I let the program chose. It places it on “/Macintosh HD/Users/my_name/”
Copied the former “workflow groups” to this workspace and it worked.
My idea was that if I have the files on “one drive” I could access them from other systems.

Hi @Burg ,

It seems that hosting your workspace on one-drive is the major issue causing the workflow coach errors. Were there any other errors you were running into while having your workspace on one-drive? If the workflow coach is integral to your work, I’d be reluctant to try to host a workspace on one-drive and instead keep it on the default location (/Macintosh HD/Users/my_name/) if possible.

Cheers,
Dash

It was running ok for at least six months. But I will heed your advice.

Tnx

Hi @Burg,

I did some more research and it looks like hosting your workspace on one-space can cause a number of other issues. There’s reported issues with character limitations (e.g. # in the filename), filename length (due to folder hierarchies), and the sync can be very temperamental. It seems that Microsoft support recommends not using one-space for your workspace as well as it continuously tries to sync when the files are open in KNIME, which itself causes sync issues.

Regards,
Dash

With the files on one-drive, on shutting down Knime, a pop-up from one-drive signaled that aproxx 100 files would be placed in the trash.
This will probably apply to other online storage like iCloud, Google drive, etc as well. Or do they use other ways to sync?

Hi @Burg,

I’m not sure, but I wouldn’t be surprised if that were true for the others. Also most of the IO operations will be slower on OneDrive, iCloud, Google Drive, etc. compared to having it locally.

Regards,
Dash

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.