workflow no longer compatible, how to export workflow of 4.0 for older version of KNIME (like 3.7.x)

Hi KNIME community,

I am doing some workflow with KNIME SDK (night-build). Recently, the night-build was updated to 4.0 and suddenly all workflows are not longer compatible with KNIME 3.7.2 which is used by end users. This means all users can on longer use the workflows tested with 4.0 with KNIME 3.7.x. Is there an option to export workflow from KNIME 4.0 to a old-version compatible format?

We had a similar issue before when upgrading from 3.6.x to 3.7.x It would be nice to have the option to export workflow with old format.

Thank you in advance.

Best Regards

Kuan Yan

I do not believe there is a way to revert.

Hi there,

to my knowledge importing/running a workflow created with newer version(for example v3.8 or v4.0) with the older version (v3.7) is not compatible. So not sure what changed for you now when nightly build was upgraded to 4.0 :confused: Did I miss something?

Br,
Ivan

@ipazin @quaeler

Hi Ivan,

Thank you for the reply. Sorry for the confusion. I can elaborate the situation a bit further.

We have end users at our company using KNIME 3.7.2. I am developing new nodes and workflows for our needs using directly KNIME SDK (target platform night-build). All workflows are tested within KNIME SDK runtime.

Since the night-build is updated to 4.0 now, all workflows I tested with KNIME SDK is no longer compatible with the KNIME 3.7.x which end user is using. End user cannot use these workflow anymore and this is quite a massive problem. We are looking for some way to export workflow from KNIME 4.0 to the old version which the exported workflow can be used by KNIME 3.7.x again.

We did consider upgrading end user’s 3.7.x to 4.0 but all community extensions have problem (since the support goes to 3.8.x only). There are several dependency problem when installing community extension with 4.0. This is after we test upgrading from 3.7.x to 4.0.

So we would like the 4.0 able to export workflow into a format which 3.7 can import the workflow. We did try to upgrade the user 3.7 KNIME to 4.0 but most community extensions supports upto 3.8 and installation of these extensions also failed due to dependency conflict.

Hope the story is a bit clear now.

Best Regards

Kuan Yan

This situation is one of several that KNIME makes you agree to the disclaimer that nightly builds are not meant for production critical uses.

The next release (coming next month) will be 4.0; given the late time, it’s seems like there is little likelihood of adding any new features for it, such as export.

Hi there @kuandannyan ,

just to check is everything fine now?

Br,
Ivan

Hi Ivan, @ipazin

Worked like a charm. I can now export workflow from 4.x and can be imported to 3.7.x. Thank you very much for this follow-up. Saved me a lot of trouble from this.

Best Regards

Kuan Yan

1 Like

Hi Kuan Yan,

glad it’s all good now.

Br,
Ivan

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.