XLS Sheet Appender-execute failed with xlsx file

The XLS Sheet Appender does not seem to work well for xlsx file: the first time i ran the nodes (3 sheet appenders), one new xlsx file was created with all sheets appended. But for the second time, the node failed with the below message:

Execute failed: org.apache.poi.openxml4j.exceptions.InvalidOperationException: A part with the name ‘/xl/drawings/drawing4.xml’ already exists : Packages shall not contain equivalent part names and package implementers shall neither create nor recognize packages with equivalent part names. [M1.12]

However, it works well with xls file. But i need to work with xlsx file. Can you please help?

Thanks.

Echo

At the same time, when i put the workflow on Knime server and run the workflow, i got the below error message:

XLS Sheet Appender 0:398 - ERROR: Execute failed: Your InputStream was neither an OLE2 stream, nor an OOXML stream.

Thanks.

Echo

Also, after I processed the data in the same xlsx file (creating pivot charts and tables, while keeping the raw data sheets), i ran the nodes again. I got the below error message

Execute failed: org/openxmlformats/schemas/spreadsheetml/x2006/main/CTDxfsS1

Or: Execute failed: Could not initialize class org.openxmlformats.schemas.spreadsheetml.x2006.main.CTDxfs

Then, I found that the file has been corrupted and cannot be openned.

Can you please help?

Thanks.

Echo

Hey Echo,

I'm sorry that you have trouble using the XLS Sheet Appender.
Sadly I can't give you good news: This is a bug in the org.apache.poi-plugin that the XLS-nodes use. This Bug exists since 2012 and hasn't been fixed yet. (See https://bz.apache.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=52836)

We are looking to find a work-around solution for our users, but I can't promise anything.

In our experience the XLS-nodes work fine if neither your data nor the sheet contains images or charts.

If you use the node to create some sort of report I recommend using the KNIME Reporting plugin (See https://tech.knime.org/reporting).

If you have further questions don't hesitate to ask. Sorry that I can't provide a more pleasant answer.

Best,
Ferry

Thanks Ferry for your repsponse and explanation.

I should have mentioned that i was using KNIME Analytics Platform 2.12. When I run the workflow and sheet appender node in version 3.1, the above mentioned issues disappear. But I need to further test the workflow on Knime server and webportal. Hope I can get good results:)

Best,

Echo

Hey Echo,

I'm glad the update helped! We fixed many bugs and added a lot of features in 3.1. There was some work in the XLS-nodes as well. For example we switched to a newer version of the mentioned plugin, which fixed some of the problems with the "drawings" in Excel.

If you have further problems with the XLS-nodes or anything else, please let us know.

Have a nice day,
Ferry

Thanks Ferry.

Indeed, we see improvements in the new version, and i am happy to tell you that the appender works good for the knime server and webportal as well:)

Cheers,

Echo

ERROR Excel Reader (XLS) 0:20 Execute failed: org.apache.poi.openxml4j.exceptions.NotOfficeXmlFileException: No valid entries or contents found, this is not a valid OOXML (Office Open XML) file

latest version of knime
when using excel reader xls

apparently the file begins with a ~
but I have not figured out to see this in win 10 explorer

but tildes seem to be a problem