Cannot launch KNIME Analytics Platform from Eclipse

Hi all, I tried to set up an Eclipse-based external node development environment. I followed the step-by-step instruction in https://github.com/knime/knime-sdk-setup.
(working with Eclipse IDE for RCP and RAP Developers Version: Photon Release (4.8.0) Build id: 20180619-1200 and with KNIME 3.7.0 build date 20180808)

I successfully activated the target profile KNIME-AP-complete.target.

Now I wanted to launch the KNIME Analytics Application via right-click on KNIME Analytics Platform.launch --> Run as --> KNIME Analytics Platform.
The launch fails with the error messages on console output shown below.

Can anybody give me a hint how to fix that problem?

!SESSION 2018-10-10 15:00:10.719 -----------------------------------------------
eclipse.buildId=unknown
java.version=1.8.0_181
java.vendor=Oracle Corporation
BootLoader constants: OS=win32, ARCH=x86_64, WS=win32, NL=en_US
Framework arguments: -product org.knime.product.KNIME_PRODUCT
Command-line arguments: -product org.knime.product.KNIME_PRODUCT -data C:\Users\doa9pl\workspace/…/runtime-KNIME -dev file:C:/Users/doa9pl/workspace/.metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.pde.core/KNIME Analytics Platform/dev.properties -os win32 -ws win32 -arch x86_64 -consoleLog

!ENTRY org.eclipse.update.configurator 4 0 2018-10-10 15:02:25.110
!MESSAGE Could not install bundle plugins/ai.h2o.deepwater-backend-api_1.0.3.jar A bundle is already installed with the name “ai.h2o.deepwater-backend-api” and version “1.0.3”

… (more of this kind) …

!ENTRY org.knime.ext.poi2 4 0 2018-10-10 15:04:36.820
!MESSAGE FrameworkEvent ERROR
!STACK 0
org.osgi.framework.BundleException: Could not resolve module: org.knime.ext.poi2 [1068]
Bundle was not resolved because of a uses contraint violation.
org.osgi.service.resolver.ResolutionException: Uses constraint violation. Unable to resolve resource org.knime.ext.poi2 [osgi.identity; type=“osgi.bundle”; version:Version=“3.7.0.v201808152218”; osgi.identity=“org.knime.ext.poi2”; singleton:=“true”] because it is exposed to package ‘javax.xml.crypto’ from resources org.eclipse.osgi [osgi.identity; type=“osgi.bundle”; version:Version=“3.12.100.v20180210-1608”; osgi.identity=“org.eclipse.osgi”; singleton:=“true”] and org.apache.santuario.xmlsec [osgi.identity; type=“osgi.bundle”; version:Version=“1.5.8”; osgi.identity=“org.apache.santuario.xmlsec”] via two dependency chains.

Chain 1:
org.knime.ext.poi2 [osgi.identity; type=“osgi.bundle”; version:Version=“3.7.0.v201808152218”; osgi.identity=“org.knime.ext.poi2”; singleton:=“true”]
require: (&(osgi.wiring.bundle=org.eclipse.core.runtime)(&(bundle-version>=3.6.0)(!(bundle-version>=4.0.0))))
|
provide: osgi.wiring.bundle: org.eclipse.core.runtime
org.eclipse.osgi [osgi.identity; type=“osgi.bundle”; version:Version=“3.12.100.v20180210-1608”; osgi.identity=“org.eclipse.osgi”; singleton:=“true”]

Chain 2:
org.knime.ext.poi2 [osgi.identity; type=“osgi.bundle”; version:Version=“3.7.0.v201808152218”; osgi.identity=“org.knime.ext.poi2”; singleton:=“true”]
require: (&(osgi.wiring.bundle=org.apache.servicemix.bundles.poi)(&(bundle-version>=3.17.0)(!(bundle-version>=4.0.0))))
|
provide: osgi.wiring.bundle; bundle-version:Version=“3.17.0.1”; osgi.wiring.bundle=“org.apache.servicemix.bundles.poi”
org.apache.servicemix.bundles.poi [osgi.identity; type=“osgi.bundle”; version:Version=“3.17.0.1”; osgi.identity=“org.apache.servicemix.bundles.poi”]
import: (osgi.wiring.package=javax.xml.crypto)
|
export: osgi.wiring.package: javax.xml.crypto
org.apache.santuario.xmlsec [osgi.identity; type=“osgi.bundle”; version:Version=“1.5.8”; osgi.identity=“org.apache.santuario.xmlsec”]
at org.eclipse.osgi.container.Module.start(Module.java:444)
at org.eclipse.osgi.container.ModuleContainer$ContainerStartLevel.incStartLevel(ModuleContainer.java:1634)
at org.eclipse.osgi.container.ModuleContainer$ContainerStartLevel.incStartLevel(ModuleContainer.java:1613)
at org.eclipse.osgi.container.ModuleContainer$ContainerStartLevel.doContainerStartLevel(ModuleContainer.java:1585)
at org.eclipse.osgi.container.ModuleContainer$ContainerStartLevel.dispatchEvent(ModuleContainer.java:1528)
at org.eclipse.osgi.container.ModuleContainer$ContainerStartLevel.dispatchEvent(ModuleContainer.java:1)
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.eventmgr.EventManager.dispatchEvent(EventManager.java:230)
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.eventmgr.EventManager$EventThread.run(EventManager.java:340)
!ENTRY com.knime.enterprise.client.api 4 0 2018-10-10 15:04:36.851
!MESSAGE FrameworkEvent ERROR
!STACK 0
org.osgi.framework.BundleException: Could not resolve module: com.knime.enterprise.client.api [7017]
Another singleton bundle selected: osgi.identity; type=“osgi.bundle”; version:Version=“4.8.0.v201809110816”; osgi.identity=“com.knime.enterprise.client.api”; singleton:=“true”

at org.eclipse.osgi.container.Module.start(Module.java:444)
at org.eclipse.osgi.container.ModuleContainer$ContainerStartLevel.dispatchEvent(ModuleContainer.java:1550)
at org.eclipse.osgi.container.ModuleContainer$ContainerStartLevel.dispatchEvent(ModuleContainer.java:1)
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.eventmgr.EventManager.dispatchEvent(EventManager.java:230)
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.eventmgr.EventManager$EventThread.run(EventManager.java:340)

… (more of this kind) …

Oct 10, 2018 3:04:40 PM org.apache.cxf.bus.osgi.CXFExtensionBundleListener addExtensions
INFO: Adding the extensions from bundle org.apache.cxf.cxf-rt-transports-http (7373) [org.apache.cxf.transport.http.HTTPTransportFactory, org.apache.cxf.transport.http.HTTPWSDLExtensionLoader, org.apache.cxf.transport.http.policy.HTTPClientAssertionBuilder, org.apache.cxf.transport.http.policy.HTTPServerAssertionBuilder, org.apache.cxf.transport.http.policy.NoOpPolicyInterceptorProvider]

!ENTRY org.eclipse.ui 2 0 2018-10-10 15:05:23.960
!MESSAGE Warnings while parsing the key bindings from the ‘org.eclipse.ui.commands’ and ‘org.eclipse.ui.bindings’ extension point
!SUBENTRY 1 org.eclipse.ui 2 0 2018-10-10 15:05:23.962
!MESSAGE Cannot bind to an undefined command: plug-in=‘org.knime.workbench.editor’, id=‘knime.commands.editor.gridSettings’

Hi @ardornei,
This looks like something went wrong with the plugin resolution, there are few things you can try that should fix this:

1. Update / Refresh the target platform, to ensure you have the latest build.
  2. Clear the configuration area of the debug configuration, you can set this in the Debug Configurations dialog.

don’t forget to unset this option once KNIME AP starts successfully as it slows down the start.

best,
Gabriel

Hello Gabriel or other KNIME-savvy folk,

I’m able to launch KNIME as a separate app out of the SDK build within a pre-existing Eclipse (Neon) workspace, but I’m really interested in whether and how I can make use of KNIME directly within my existing workspace. I could not find a KAP plug-in I could install for this purpose. Is there one, and if so, which Eclipse versions does it support and what is the URL, and if not, is one planned (and when)?

Please advise :wink: