Collect emails from email server

Recent days I see a lot of questions about emails. It is a great opportunity to send reports directly from KNIME.
But what about reading emails?
Is there a way to collect emails and use email as a trigger for the workflow to start processing the body of the message?
Surprisingly, I haven’t found similar questions on the hub and my first attempt failed (I tried to connect to POP3 server with HTTP(S) connector but with no success).

I think I’m not the only one who could use this approach if it is feasible, for sure.

3 Likes

Hi @DmitryIvanov76 -

This is an interesting question! As far as I know, there isn’t a way to do this directly using a single node in KNIME. I know the Tika Parser can read .eml files - a specialized format, to be sure - but there’s not a way to monitor an email inbox in real time.

As a workaround, maybe you could set up your email software to save the email text in a particular directory, perhaps using a forwarding rule or similar. Then you could use a component like the one below to watch for new emails, and afterward start processing:

At any rate, we have a ticket for this feature request in our system (AP-9187), and I have added a +1 on that from you.

4 Likes

Hi @ScottF,

could you give a +1 from me as well? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Sure, no problem. The more the merrier :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Updating this thread to let everyone know the new Email Reader (Labs) and associated nodes were added in the 5.2 release. :slight_smile: