Drag and Drop

p3

p4

@takbb You genius! Thanks a lot! I figured it out thanks to your instructions.

I can now drag and drop without the UAC registry alteration.

Do you know why there’s a difference between the two installation methods? Should I now stick with this Zip version?

1 Like

Hi @badger101 It was a good team effort as always!

Re the installs… I don’t know if it’s still the case, but using the installer version it used to require that you uninstall the any previously installed version. Using the zip instead doesn’t have that restriction (if it is still a restriction).

I just use the zip now regardless. So far so good. If it causes any problems, I have yet to encounter them.

@takbb If I want to transfer my saved/executed workflow from the previous folder to this new directory, will these steps suffice?

1. Copy the workflow folders to the new directory.
  2. Open the Knime-Zip version and set the correct (new) directory as ‘Local’.

As far as I know yes. If you have changed any settings in your knime.ini file, you’ll need to replicate those too of course.

I’d leave the old installation as it is for the moment, and follow the above steps. See how it goes and if all ok, remove the old. Technically you could probably also just point your new KNIME at the workflow for the previous install if that folder is not in a place affected by UAC (e.g. it’s just a regular folder on your drive rather than any kind of special folder owned by Windows).

Actually… if it were me, I would probably make a backup of the existing folder to somewhere else, and then point KNIME at the original work area (subject to above comment about not being a special folder). But I think either way will work.

1 Like

Ah the knime.ini ! That’s right! Thanks for the reminder.

Okay, I won’t remove the previous version for the near future, but going forward I’ll use the Zip version. I will try pointing to the previous directory folder first to see if it affects the drag-and-drop again. If it does, I’ll proceed with copying the folders rather than pointing.

Thank you to @bruno29a for the original idea that points us to the right direction!!!

Really appreciate everything! @takbb @iCFO Have a great day!

3 Likes

Just for the sake of clarification. It is hard to tell if you changed KNIME to run as “Elevated” to match up with Chrome being run as Administrator, or the other way around. The preferred method would be to run both Chrome and KNIME without Admin elevation. In your case it looks like that might require folder permission adjustments.

Whichever way you go, I am glad you have it fixed without Registry changes. I had a feeling that it was related to Chrome being run as Administrator, but I wasn’t thinking about the possibility that folder permissions might also be conflicting KNIME’s process elevation. Good catch @bruno29a!

2 Likes

Sorry @badger101 @takbb @iCFO , been away the whole day so catching up on all of this.

So indeed @badger101 , it looks like your Knime was somehow running as elevated, therefore dragging from anything below that level would not allow you to drop in Knime.

Hopefully you re-enabled UAC - it’s there for a reason.

I’m glad this is solved.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.