GroupBy Bar Chart Node Bug

The GroupBy Bar Chart Node does not display (to the best of my knowledge) the X-labels on the X-axis. In the attached example, my X-axis should be “VCID”, but instead my Y-axis label “THAWCELLCOUNT” displayed. Therefore, I cannot dicipher which “VCID” category is associated with its corresponding bar. Anything I am missing?

What does your data table look like?

What happens when you enable the option to align bars with the same label together?

Why are you using the GroupBy Bar Chart? Based on your screenshot, you don’t have any groups to visualize. Where are the bar colors coming from?

This might just be a mismatch of expectations, or using the wrong tool for the task you want to accomplish.

the data are already grouped prior to plotting. So each bar in the plot represent a label from the column “VCID” aka the groups. Like so: image

The bar colors are coming for the Color Manager node. From a third column (not shown) that has two super-classes of the VCIDs (so either red or green).

I am using the GroupyBy Bar Chart and this protocol because trying to color my bars this way with other bar chart nodes is non-trivial.

When I show the legend, I get the VCID labels for the X-axis. But they are not associated with the X-axis on the plot. Instead, it is the Y-axis label (“THAWCELLCOUNT”)

Ultimately I have solved my issue using the python, but I wanted to point out this bug.

Hello @scapuzzi,

why are you using Bar Chart from JFreeChart extension? Can’t you use Bar Chart from JavaScript extension? Maybe this example can help you out:

And a little bit about different visualization nodes in KNIME:

Br,
Ivan

1 Like

Thanks, Ivan, as always. I did check out that workflow before all of this. The color manager does not work for how I want the data categorized and as such the bar chart comes up all gray. I could post a workflow that illustrates this, but the issue is more around the axis labeling, not the “why” of using one barchart over another. I just wanted to highlight this issue. Thanks, all, for your feedback.

1 Like

Hello @scapuzzi,

I see. Well if you want to set up a workflow example I’ll gladly take a look at it. And if there is no way around it seems more likely to me that new/missing functionality will be developed within JavaScript nodes :wink:

Br,
Ivan

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.