Hello Knime authority

1. Is there any way to make a package for deployment using deafferent computation quota like data lore, those are highly affordable for individual data science practitioner?

Data lore (Jetbrain) offer 20$/Month for 750 hours of computing (Including all package and report generation support), why knime cannot offer that affordable for online deployment and may I know the explanation.?

I think it is mainly because they have different market positioning, business models, customer groups and development costs. The scale of the two companies is also different. Jetbrains has about 10 times the current employees of KNIME. You can imagine the difference in the number of customer groups they serve.

1 Like

@knime200087 you might want to take a look at the new options to host and run your knime workflows on the community hub in a dedicated team space.

Reading your post @knime200087 I feel it really well resonates with what I highlighted out as well:

In essence, an intermediate tier of the Hub for individuals and maybe with the option to only utilize the local interactive view but online to share with clients. Sharing reports with compute capabilities is called “Data App” and is only included in the Basic tier starting at 35.000 Euro.

Also worth pointing out that the compute costs, compared to an AWS Workspace where I ran for a former employer workflows remotely in batch mode, is substantially more affordable and comes at a fixed instead if flexible rate (because of the compute utilization credits).

Could you clarify whether the price is 35 or 35,000 ? If it’s 35,000 , then it might not be cost-effective for our discussion.

Well, there are two options. You can execute a workflow in the Hub with the 2nd Teams tier starting at 99 Euro / month plus the surcharge of the credits .

In my referenced post I did some math about a scenario I had and, for a modest execution of five minutes and five times each day that would incur an additional 75 € on the lowest tier. Not quite competitive compared to an AWS Workspace based on my experience but the Teams tier has some advantages in regards to collaboration.

Though, the really interesting things begin when you can actually share the insights and create wisdom for clients by sharing the results. For that to happen, as far as I understand the descriptions, the Basic Tier starting at 35.000 Euro is required:

About Data Lor from Jetbrains. I had a look and tried to compare their with the offering from Knime which is quite difficult. Truth is, the feature " Create BI apps with a few clicks" from Jetbrainsis already included in the 20 Euro package. Just by that, what Knime offers, is unattractive in terms for providing the results to clients.

Other aspects such as compute power is hidden by both vendors deep in their FAQs. So you have to be very cautious. Here is one example about the included compute minutes. Worth to note that I could not find any details from Jetbrains about the CPUs and RAM.

Choose Your Datalore plan | Datalore!

As it stands, to kick off working as a team or individual / freelance, I find it particularly difficult to find a compelling offer that would enable me to do some “data magic” and share the results with clients to build a business.

1 Like

Many people believe professional software should be expensive, but they may not realize how efficiently some tools can get the job done. For example, I use Knime for complex data cleaning tasks because it is versatile and powerful. However, when presenting to stakeholders, I often use DataLore instead since they are more familiar with python. My company is unaware that I initially use Knime for many tasks.

I believe Knime’s management should consider closing the free distribution of their base package and monetize by selling an offline version instead. They could still offer a limited edition for the open-source community. Additionally, they should make their data apps more affordable for mass adoption. Selling a high volume at lower prices can reduce production costs and increase profit margins, ultimately benefiting a larger portion of the data science community.

Currently, Knime competes with Alteryx, but given its versatility and potential, I think it should aim to compete with the flexibility that the Python programming language offers.

Many people believe professional software should be expensive,

Truth! I frequently face this as well. Maybe “you get what you are paying for” has some psychological effects. Though, from my perspective everything is a tool and it 99.99% depends on how well one can use it. I.e., what can you do with a barn full tools if you don’t know which and when to use it.

closing the free distribution
I don’t feel that way. That would very likely suffocate the community. Though, I must admit that I see other / additional monetization options to ensure development can excel like:

1. More affordable Hub Tiers allowing to share interactive views (reports), no data processing, with clients using authentication
  2. Knime Professionals Network: Similar to Fiverr. A place where Knime Experts can offer their services. For each procured service, Knime could charge a fee.
  3. Knime Professionals Hub: Workflows by professionals, run on the Hub, on demand i.e. to crawl data from APIs or portals. Basically a hosted versions of the many awesome solutions found but companies would not have to setup things locally but could, on demand, get results very fast.
  4. Direct Workflow Support

Currently, Knime competes with Alteryx
That is exactly the tool a company I support made the choice, which I am really sad about, to switch to.

1 Like

Creative Ideas!!!

Also found reasonable to make “knime” think on their monetization approach! I know that, without data preprocessing it should and possible to make interactive report service to be highly affordable like “JMP Live” or Tableau Desktop subscription etc.

At least knime can think on new dimension on reporting, so that interactive doesn’t mean to be always on input dependent and of course without recalculation.