I am new to KNIME, I want to use it for a project in which I’m working. The idea for this project is to use KNIME capabilities and add a couple of new nodes (not very complex) that will add a couple of very specific actions but nothing fancy.
I feel like I’m hitting a wall trying to accomplish this. Many doubts arise.
How is the development process of a new node? What are all the steps necessary?
- I’ve read New Node Wizard and knime/knime-sdk-setup: KNIME Analytics Platform - SDK Setup. But this is lacking as this forum post shows, which states that an Eclipse piece of software is needed.
What else am I missing? Do I need to install more software?
- What happens after I install that Eclipse piece of software? I run KNIME from Eclipse and see the node but if I make changes to the node (from Eclipse) they don’t appear in KNIME. How should this be handled? Should I always need to close KNIME and re open it and do all the steps to recreate my setup and test changes?
- How can I use the code from another already existing node to learn how it works and extrapolate that knowledge to my own node? For example what if I want to use the Python node to extend it?
- How can I build the node so I can use is it in a non-development environment? I don’t want to have to use Eclipse to run KNIME so how can I export it to be used by one of my colleagues with a standard version of KNIME?
- I see examples in the website but an exact cooking recipe is missing.
I feel the documentation is poor in this subject which is a shame since KNIME feels very capable but for someone new trying to extend it feels like a 90º uphill climb. It also feels that the information exists but that it is spread across many URLs so this should probably be centralized.
Please point me in the right direction or improve the documentation.