Knime Analytics Platform on headless Machine

Hello,

I’d like to run a few workflows from a headless machine. Knime analytics platform works well in batch mode (cf. https://www.knime.com/faq#q12) from my computer (running Ubuntu).

However, I can’t run knime from Ubuntu Server (without a graphical environment).

Here’s my error message:

knime -nosplash -reset -nosave --launcher.suppressErrors -consoleLog -application="org.knime.product.KNIME_BATCH_APPLICATION"
libX11.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory 
Knime:
The Knime executable launcher was unable to locate its companion shared library.

NB: Knime 4.7 and 5.1 output the same error

When I install the missing library, a new library has to be installed and so on. Looks like I’m going to deploy a graphical environment step by step (not my purpose).

Can you tell me how to run Knime Analytics Platform on a headless machine, please?

Please note that I’m not a Java developer. I guess I’d have to modify the knime.ini file, but I can’t figure out exactly how.

Thanks

Hello

I give it another try and have installed dependancies:

apt-get install libx11-6 libglib2.0-0 libnss3 libatk1.0-0 libatk-bridge2.0-0 libcups2 libxcomposite1 libxfixes3 libxrandr2 libgbm-dev libxkbcommon-x11-0 libgbm1 libasound2 libxshmfence1 libswt-gtk-4-jni

Now the error message is:

org.eclipse.swt.SWTError: No more handles [gtk_init_check() failed]
	at org.eclipse.swt.SWT.error(SWT.java:4944)
	at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.createDisplay(Display.java:1154)
	at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.create(Display.java:1078)
	at org.eclipse.swt.graphics.Device.<init>(Device.java:168)
	at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.<init>(Display.java:630)
	at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.<init>(Display.java:621)
	at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.createDisplay(Workbench.java:742)
	at org.eclipse.ui.PlatformUI.createDisplay(PlatformUI.java:168)
	at org.knime.product.rcp.KNIMEApplication.createDisplay(KNIMEApplication.java:270)
	at org.knime.product.rcp.KNIMEApplication.start(KNIMEApplication.java:122)
	at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.app.EclipseAppHandle.run(EclipseAppHandle.java:203)
	at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.runApplication(EclipseAppLauncher.java:136)
	at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.start(EclipseAppLauncher.java:104)
	at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:402)
	at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:255)
	at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
	at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
	at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:659)
	at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:596)
	at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:1467)
	at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.main(Main.java:1440)

I still don’t know how to explain to knime (or Eclipse?) I don’t want any display…

Any ideas?

Thanks

Hello,

I’m still not giving up the fight and I’ve tried something else: using a virtual machine (instead of a Docker container).

The result is no better: I get the same error (libX11.so.6 is missing) and then (after installing the dependencies): org.eclipse.swt.SWTError: No more handles [gtk_init_check() failed].

The problem seems to stem from the knime and/or Eclipse configuration…

Could you please help me?

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.