KNIME Modern UI Preview

Make the filter option on the data preview always stay visible. Right now we need to scroll to the right; it is tedious when a table has many columns.

I can’t see how to access the console in the Modern UI.

3 Likes

Im really struggling to like the new interface. Im finding its giving up the practicality and space saving for more nicer looking ui. im sure the final ui will look much different as you get more feedback. but right now when i go into the modern UI i just feel like it’s not as practical as the old ui… in the old UI it is a bit of a challenge finding a node inside the nested tree structure but in the new ui the larger icons are just distracting. this is my own opinion others may be very different :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Not really related to modern UI but you can simply install your own code into the python environment you use in knime using developer mode so that always the newest version (eg your git repo) is used.

(python -m pip install -e /path/to/my_package)

I had made a general assumption that eventually the new UI would support all of the same keyboard shortcut functionality as the old UI, but that is probably not a safe assumption since the new approach is very visual / drag and drop focused.

Right now nodes can’t be inserted via keyboard command (everything seems to work but the final step of insert via the enter button), control + left click doesn’t multiple select, connect and disconnect nodes doesn’t work, and a myriad of other missing shortcut functions.

I know this is just a preview of the UI, but wanted to make sure you didn’t forget about us shortcut / macro guys. :wink:

2 Likes

@jude_ran Thanks you for the great feedback and the questions.

• Will non-JavaScript visualizers ever be viewable within the Modern UI?

Yes we will add this to the Modern UI. As we started to develop new javascript views with a new underlying framework, for us a few things would be really interesting about this use case:

• what kind of visualisation is it
  • which use case does it solve
  • would you be interested in transforming this from a Java based view into a JavaScript view, based on the new framework.
  • Will highlighting ever be accessible within the tables views of the Modern UI?

Yes, we have plans to do so, but currently there are other important things we are focussing on.

• At what point will the Modern UI become the “only” option? (I noticed a team member stated, “someday in the future the current user interface will not be maintained anymore” so it would be nice to have general timeline for this transition.)

There is no date set yet, a next step will be to have the Modern UI as the default perspective, that means you end up in the Modern UI when you start the KNIME Analytics Platform; with the possibility to switch back to the current user interface. At the moment there are no plans, to remove the way to switch back to the current user interface.

• If the user has a 4K monitor and is also using the Linux version of KNIME, then the Modern UI does not “extend” across the entire screen .

Could you please provide more information about your current linux distribution.

@Marthael

Make the filter option on the data preview always stay visible. Right now we need to scroll to the right; it is tedious when a table has many columns. […]

We are aware of this limitation. To make them fixed and always visible on the right is already on our list.
The console is not implemented yet.

@kb2010

Im really struggling to like the new interface. Im finding its giving up the practicality […]

Thanks for the node repo feedback. We are thinking about a list based view with smaller node repo icons in addition to the current node repo ui.

@iCFO

[…] but wanted to make sure you didn’t forget about us shortcut / macro guys.

We have already started to create shortcuts and added them for most of the things we already re-did. There are lots of shortcuts in the current AP and it will take some time before we can convert all of them. Adding/removing nodes to the selection changed a bit and is at the moment only possible with SHIFT.

6 Likes

Hi guys,

The functionality of the new UI seems a bit limited when compared to the regular UI.
I prefer the old UI personally. It also isn’t able to switch between open workflows? That’s really not great.

1 Like

Hi @Albert123
With version 4.7.0 we have introduced the possibility to open multiple workflows.

When you switch to the Modern UI Preview perspective, you see the current entry page. After opening a workflow, you will see a first workflow tab. Now you have to switch back to the initial page via the button in the upper left corner. You are now able to open another workflow.

Screen Recording 2023-02-07 at 8.25.28 AM

The Modern UI Preview is considered a preview and is currently under development — so at the moment not everything is available. In the future, more features will be added, like an integrated Space explorer, Node labels ….

7 Likes

can you add the ability to add images as annotations to the UI? For e.g. instead of drawing boxes around nodes, if you give ability to display images in the workspace it will allow for better documentation of the workflow and make it more visually appealing.

5 Likes

Thanks for the idea. We will include this in our considerations for workflow annotations inside Modern UI.

Hello community,

Thank you for all the great feedback and ideas. We are happy to announce the early access release of KNIME Analytics Platform Version 5. Please post your feedback in the following thread:

3 Likes

Hey @Marthael ,

I have some good news regarding the filter icon issue. With the newly released 5.1 the filter icon is now sticking to the current viewport and not to the right of the table anymore.

Greetings,
Daniel

2 Likes