I have a fresh install of KNIME Version 4.1.3 running on Windows 10 Enterprise (64-bit). I can import, open, run and view the results of workflows, but whenever I right-click and select “Configure” (or double click) on a node (any node) there is a pause of a couple of seconds, then the spinning wheel starts, and after minutes pass I have to terminate the application through Task Manager.
Unfortunately there is nothing in any of the KNIME logs. Running KNIME from the command line with the -consoleLog option similarly reveals nothing being added to the logs after the “Configure” option is selected.
Any advice on how to fix this, or at the very least get more information about what is breaking, would be greatly appreciated!
I added -clean, and this led to another error on startup. KNIME no longer starts, and this message is displayed in the logfile in the configuration subdirectory:
!ENTRY org.eclipse.osgi 4 0 2020-07-06 12:30:24.985
!MESSAGE Application error
at org.eclipse.swt.internal.C.PTR_sizeof(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
This issue seems similar to the one raised here, but the two resolutions suggested didn’t work. Using -clean was what created the problem (and it persists even if I now remove -clean again). My -Dequinox.statechange.timeout is 30000 by default, so changing it to 10000 doesn’t resolve it either.
Is there a possibility that this is all antivirus software related? This is a work machine for which I don’t have administrator rights, but I could have our IT Support team look into whitelisting the KNIME application.
Never heard of Antivirus issues but then I suggest you ask IT anyway, nothing to loose really and only time to win.
I would have following suggestions. Can you start your knime install but in a different workspace? Maybe your workspace is corrupted. If that doesn’t help, download new knime copy and try again on existing and a new workspace.
Unfortunately I have had problems with KNIME and very aggressive virus scanners (in combination with virtual servers) where KNIME start would slow down to an extent it was nearly unusable; KNIME consisting of several thousand files and the scanner was constantly scanning them all - although this error seems different.
I also think a clean installation would be a good idea.
Thanks @beginner and @mlauber71. Tried both a new workspace and a fresh installation and neither fixed the problem. Interestingly, after the reinstall I was still getting the same java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: org.eclipse.swt.internal.C.PTR_sizeof()I error…I was expecting to go back to the first issue (not being able to configure) rather than the second (not being able to start KNIME). However, my IT support person was able to both run KNIME and configure nodes with elevated privileges. So it seems that it is either a privilege issue or some sort of privilege/antivirus interplay. I’ve put in a request for local elevated privileges, and will see if that provides a permanent fix. I’m guessing that most other KNIME users have local admin rights (this was my situation in the past), so my experiences may at least be useful for others using KNIME in a corporate environment.
Just to close this out, I now have a working version of KNIME. It turns out that a step had been missed in providing my access to the application, and IT Service Desk hadn’t whitelisted the application. They’ve done this now, and everything is working fine without elevated privileges being needed.
Posting the solution here in case anyone experiences similar symptoms, and needs to find the cause.